It’s essential to have good oral habits, whether it’s an adult or a child. Babies and toddlers are at just as much risk of dental decay as an adult. Remember that instilling good oral habits from an early age goes a long way.
Healthy oral habits that are practised early allow your child to have healthy teeth for life. But some parents need help maintaining their toddlers’ dental health. While they are aware of how crucial brushing is, many parents need guidance about when and how to start. Are you one of them?
In this article, you’ll learn how to help your toddler in taking care of his/her oral hygiene.
- If your toddler resists brushing and cleaning his/her teeth or struggles to sit still for 2 minutes, try the following suggestions:
- Let your toddler pick out 2 or 3 colourful child-size toothbrushes at the drugstore. In addition, let them select their favourite flavour of toothpaste they like but make sure it has the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
- Your toddler might also love a perfect battery-powered toothbrush featuring their favourite character.
- Sing nursery rhymes or play your toddler’s favourite song while you help them brush their teeth
- Encourage your toddler to practise teeth cleaning but be sure to supervise them. However, you need to understand that some toddlers like to be independent, so it is a good idea to give them a toothbrush while you use another one and take turns brushing.
- Offer a reward each time your toddler allows you to brush for two minutes
- Let your toddler take the lead. Rather than forcing your toddler, let them hold the toothbrush and give it a go while you supervise them.
- Make flossing and brushing as much fun as you can to avoid any negative association or resistance. Be sure to talk to your dentist if you need more advice.
- Also, make brushing more fun by brushing their nose “accidentally” or singing a song with a mouth full of toothpaste foam.
It’s Important to Set a Good Example
Children tend to imitate their parent’s behaviour. If oral hygiene and looking after your teeth are essential to you, they will be necessary for your child. Talk to your kid about the importance of healthy teeth. When your child understands that teeth have to last a lifetime, they’ll be more likely to take care of them.
Visit your dentist regularly to maintain your own oral health, which will, in turn, benefit your child.
Dental Checkups in Aspendale Gardens, VIC Australia
If you and your child are looking for a fun dental experience, call our dentists in Aspendale to make an appointment. Our experienced dentists will examine your child’s oral health and advise them on how to maintain good oral hygiene.
As always, for more information, visit our website at www.aspendalegardensdentalcare.com.au or come in and talk to our friendly staff.